Doc Maclean’s Cross Bones Blues Tour Full Show Details:
I learnt about Doc Maclean’s work when I worked out of Fleishman Hillard in 2014. I was still new to anything interesting in the music space and resigned myself to the commercial music of the day.
My colleague and friend Damon Boyd took pity upon my miss guided musical ways and introduced me to Texx and the City and others, eventually recommending Doc. Doc Maclean intern became my way out of the norm of office life and my musical stunt.
Cross Bones Blues Tour:
Doc MacLean’s second African tour, “Cross Bones Blues,” finds him returning to many of the places he visited on his previous, “Zulu Skies” adventure. As if that Tour wasn’t big enough, Cross Bones includes nearly 50 shows. From the gala Tour launch at the Canadian High Commission to the massive OppiKoppi Festival to theatres, cafes, and wild little juke joints… This tour touches most parts of South Africa.
A number of Cross Bones shows will feature collaborations with South African blues and roots artists. MacLean, who was “thrilled” by the musicians he met last year, is working to create opportunities for these artists to tour North America. South Africa and Canada have much in common, and he believes that a broader exchange of artists would serve both well. In addition to fostering cultural, diplomatic and economic contacts, Doc continues to mentor a number of younger artists, and will present guitar workshops as his tour schedule permits.
Cross Bones Blues Tour Dates:
Full Tour Details:
- Oct 4 Reception/Tour Launch, CDN High Commission, 1103 Arcadia St., Hatfield, Pretoria. With special guests Albert Frost and Marcia Moon.
- Oct 5 OppiKoppi Festival
- Oct 6 OppiKoppi Festival
- Oct 7 OppiKoppi Festival
- Oct 13 Karoo Saloon, Barrydale, Western Cape.
- Oct 14 Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Ladismith, Western Cape.
- Oct 15 Karoo Saloon, Barrydale, Western Cape.
- Oct 16 Barleycorn Music Club, Cape Town, 11 Lansdowne Rd, Brookside.
- Oct 19 Die Boer Theatre, Durbanville, 6 Chenoweth St., 7551, Western Cape w. Albert Frost.
- Oct 20 Alma Café, Cape Town, 20 Alma Rd., Rosebank.
- Oct 21 Alma Café, Cape Town, 20 Alma Rd., Rosebank.
- Oct 25 The Australian Arms, Kimberley, Big Hole Complex, Northern Cape.
- Oct 26 Bookbedonnerd Festival of Books and Arts, Richmond, Northern Cape.
- Oct 28 Cafe Barcelona, Pretoria. 53 Thomson St., Elardus Park Shopping Centre.
- Oct 29 Otter Lake German, Pretoria. Plot 26 Kameelfontein.
- Nov 2 Decibels Studio Concert, Pretoria. 64 Elephant Rd, Monument Park.
- Nov 3 The Coachman Restaurant, Dullstroom, 89 Naledi Dr., 1110, Mpumalanga.
- Nov 4 Sinkshack, Bronkhorstspruit. 57 Cathie St.
- Nov 5 Cockpit Brewhouse, Cullinan. 80 Oak Ave.
- Nov 8 Jazzies Inn, Wattville Township, Benoni, Johannesburg.
- Nov 9 Innie Skuur, Bloemfontein, Drakensberg Ave.,Spitskop, 9330, Free State.
- Nov 10 Gin-Ger Bar , Ficksburg, 9 Fontein St., 9730 Free State.
- Nov 11 Mojo’s, Welkom, 250 Stateway, Bedelia, 9459 Free State.
- Nov 14 La Casa, MMC, Pietermaritzburg, 5 Quarry Rd., 3201 KZN, w. Tim Parr
- Nov 15 Corrie Lynne Farm, Dargle, Howick 17 Petrusstroom Rd., 3265, KZN, w. Tim Parr.
- Nov 16 Private Event, KZN Midlands, w. Tim Parr.
- Nov 17 House at Zululand, Eshowe, 10 Kangela St. KZN.
- Nov 18 Imvubu Lodge, Richard’s Bay, Meerensee, KZN.
- Nov 20 Umdloti Bush Tavern, Umdloti (Durban), 1 South Beach Rd. KZN
- Nov 21 Rocky Ridge, Ramsgate, Fascadale Rd. 4275 KZN.
- Nov 22 Legends Showcase, East London, 42 STEWART Dr. Eastern Cape
- Nov 23 Red Apple, Kenton-On-Sea, Shop 4 Sunshine Coast Gateway Tourism Centre, 2nd Ave. Eastern Cape
- Nov 24 The Music Kitchen, Port Elizabeth, 69 Mangold St., Newton Park. Eastern Cape
- Nov 25 Die Ramstal, Nieu Bethesda. Eastern Cape
- Nov 29 Sit the Folk Down, Cape Town, Western Cape.
- Dec 1 Villa Pascal Guest House and Theatre, Durbanville.
- Dec 2 The Cottage Club, Fish Hoek, Cape Town, 33, 2nd Crescent.
- Dec 3 Joostenburg Wine Farm, Stellenbosch, R304 Muldersvlei.
- Dec 8 Evita se Perra Theatre, Darling, 8 Arcadia Street.
- Dec 9 Miss Ruby Presents, Swellendam, Die Schuur, Drostdy Museum, Swellengrebel St
- Dec 10 Mujo’s Bar, George, 1 Knysna Rd.
- Dec 13 Cocomo’s, Wilderness, 197 George Rd.
- Dec 14 Dorpshuis Guesthouse & Restaurant, Calitzdorp, 4 Van Riebeeck St.
- Dec 15 Show Room Theatre, Prince Albert, 43 Church St., PO Box 181, 6930, West Cape. w. Albert Frost.
- Dec 16 Knysna Blues Festival, Knysna, TBC.
- Dec 17 Knysna Blues Festival, Knysna, TBC.
Are you excited to hear this legend live on tour this year! I am! It’s like meeting the person responsible for the best change you’ve had in life.
Here’s a little more from Doc while you decide: